Saturday, April 12, 2008

"Kill Me Later"

Selma Blair has the lead role in this film.

This movie actually has a very interesting premise: a thief takes a bank teller hostage just before she attempts to commit suicide. But...

Selma Blair has the lead role in this film.

The trailer for this features one of the funniest review claims I’ve ever read: “In the tradition of ‘Out of Sight.’ and ‘Run, Lola Run.’” is the snippet culled from a Variety review. I shouldn’t be surprised, as this same critic actually gave a bad review to “The Limey,” a thriller with depth that actually IS reminiscent of “Out of Sight” and “Run, Lola Run.” As well it should be, given that both it and “Out of Sight” were directed by Oscar® winner Steven Soderbergh.
In fact, all three are very fine films indeed. But I see nothing in “Kill Me Later”’s trailer to lead me to believe it will even come close to being as good as those films. Because...

Selma Blair has the lead role in this film.

Now I know she has her fans. She has a certain appeal to some. Some women like and relate to her as the put-upon “best friend” she often plays. Some men think she’s cute. I’ve found her serviceable at best and bland at worst… and alas, the bits pulled from this trailer lead me to believe it’s the “bland” Selma who showed up on the “Kill Me Later” set. Honestly, I can’t really recall too many times I’ve even seen her be serviceable. Most of the time she just appears bored. And if she’s bored, the rest of us are going to be bored watching her. Which is probably why except for this film, she’s always just a supporting player. I hate to use a cliché, but watching paint dry appears to be more engaging than watching this movie. Because...

Selma Blair has the lead role in this film.

I can’t recall ever hearing of the male lead before. His name is Max Beesley. I looked him up. Apparently he’s a big star in England, particularly on the BBC. And he has at least one cringe-worthy credit redeemable for a special Late Nite Landfill kudo: he played one of Mariah Carey’s love interests in “Glitter.” When he’s not acting, he’s a professional musician. For all I know, he may be a very talented actor-musician indeed (“Glitter” notwithstanding); I just don’t know him. He’s worked with people as diverse as George Michael, George Benson, Take That, Jamiroquai and has even played piano for the late James Brown. In other words, he’s a guy I’ve never heard of playing music with a whole bunch of folks I have heard of. Which is probably one better than the rest of the cast and the director, who are all also unknown to me. I hope none of them nodded off on the set. Because...

Selma Blair has the lead role in this film.

So, if you’re really suffering from insomnia Sunday night, I recommend you tune in to this one. Because...

Selma Blair has the lead role in this film.

Watch the trailer here:



Or view the entire movie on WABC-TV Channel 7 at 11:35 PM on Sunday, April 13th... if you dare!

No comments: